Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Newest Fatwa SINsation

So I was doing a pretty good job of not updating my blog for a while. Then the bug hit again, and I guess I have to post something...

I never really thought that my lyrics for Crazy would be as popular as they are. Actually...well I anticipated, its nice to know that other people are digging the song as much as I am. Still surprised that this isn't available anywhere else online...

That's right y'all a Chef Raw exclusive....

In other news....

I am trying to avoid discussions surrounding the Danish cartoons like the plague. I am tired of talking about it. I am tired of hearing about it. If anyone wants to read what I feel about it they can head on over to Oman Forum and see what I have had to say (read what no one else will listen to). BTW...I am up for voting for member of the year...so vote for me or not *shrugs shoulders* whatever...

In other music news I wish to present the newest fatwa sensation in the Middle East. I bring you the beautiful Deeyah.

Personally I am not too big of a fan. The beat for her song "What Will it Be" and the song that is the subject of the fatwa isn't that bad. Vocally, I'm not really digging her style. I haven't been too big of a fan urban Brit-pop but when she sings classical Indian scales she sounds amazing...Check her out on the remix to "Neva Scared" on that same site...

Apparently because she is questioning traditional Islamic gender roles she is being perceived as an agent of the west...and is apparently worthy of a death sentence. I guess she really isn't too different from Madonna...

Hey...if the Pussycat Dolls can make it, then I am sure she can too...

2 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Samyah said...

lol SR, you are worse than me.. I left my blog for around a month and came back implying it was a 'good job' i had left it too :p

I just read up on that website you offered about Deeya "s was the case when Deeyah’s last album came out, her video has led to threats from conservative Muslims who are angry that Deeyah (herself a Muslim) appears in sexy clothes and dances with a black man." I wouldnt go as far to say 'death sentence' but she's certainly spreading the wrong image of Islam and that I can't stand in a person. If she doesnt want to act like a muslim does then I don't believe she should go around announcing she is :os

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Soul Rebel said...

hahaha...I was just taking a vacation thats all...now I am back all rested and relaxed...

Perhaps fatwa is too strong of a word. Of course "threats" from conservative Muslim groups often refers to fatwas...

Art is about the juxtaposition of images, and I think that was her attempt in her video. She is trying to be a pop princess, and this is how she chooses to sell herself.

I think its not about her "acting" like a Muslim, I think she is trying to address the broader concerns facing many Muslims. That is why there are so many images of people with tape around their mouths...silence is golden!

I just like how we get all up in arms over the tiniest thing. Salman Rushdies book wouldn't have garnered nearly the attention it has if someone hadn't declared a fatwa on him...

I know a few people personally who have fatwas against them as well. People who speak their minds and live their lives. Its a shame that they can't go back to their own countries for fear of being killed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home