Sunday, March 05, 2006

Our Side

Like I have said many times before I do spoken word poetry. I wrote and memorized this a few years back. I wrote it on the anniversary of 9/11, and originally titled it "The Millionth 9/11 Poem You Will Hear Today." It feels like I have performed this a million times and is definetly one of my favorites. I fit right into character like your favorite t-shirt, you have left your impression after wearing it so many times, it feels like it is you, just another layer of skin...

I want to give people a little info about where I am coming from this. As a part of my writing process I write about getting into character. This helps to set the stage for myself as I am performing, and means I don't have to warm up before getting on stage. It also allows the audience a chance to get to know the character of the piece...

It is manic, and that's my intent. The whole time I envisioned myself as that madman that has been locked away and has to get every idea and thought on paper before it is beaten out of him..."Head back blood splattered". Technically the charcter development ends there, and the poem truly "begins"...

It's hard to transcribe a performance piece, and I have always been afraid to do so. It looses something on paper, the fire, the edge, the urgency with which I like to spit.

Its been a crowd favorite, and a personal favorite. I hope y'all are able to enjoy it too...

Peace,
Chef Raw
___________________________________

Some say you have to be outside to write
That writing is a sensual experience that must be shared in communion with nature
I say writing is a reality
Writing is the essence that my soul breathes to recreate realities and bring forth inconsistencies
Some say that I am angry
That I have a fire that burns that must be quenched

Some say I don't write love poems...

I don't write love poems

I keep my soul locked up and hidden in a box
Much like the room I now reside
My only communication exists with a white Playboy bunny
I followed that rabbit deeper and deeper down into that whole
My room is dark quiet and alone
I have come to enjoy the darkness
I feel at home in the night
The darkness' uncertainity is the dream I now breath
My love exists in that which people forget
The artful forgetfullness that has brought me to be alone
And you are not there...

I sit alone and dream of love poems but you are not there
So I sit in the darkness and wait for your breath of life
But that breath has been silenced
and that breath has been stolen
So I stare in the darkness even longer and give a blank stare of the surrounding silence
and I hear a hummmmmmmmmmm....

Bringing forth incandescent illuminosity
Preaching the last infantile attrocity
Adolescent dreams of power, sex, whores
and now we are nothing but power sexed whores
Because police batons are fallic symbols
and we're being raped to contrition
and this slow mental circumcision has me hold my crotch in fear

But my crotch was never the issue...

And then black
head back blood splattered then black
head back blood splattered
he was black on...

Both sides
We need to discuss both sides
I don't think you quite address both sides equally
Both sides
but both sides
unequal and even
but both sides
equal and even
converge and converse
average American is a Middle Eastern scholar
on both sides
both sides
unequal but both sides

Broadband broadcast the occupied
I am both sides

My heart beats life
911 beats per minute
My heart is beating so fast I can no longer maintain
For the last two years I've been hiding in my safe room
I cover duct tape to protect me from all
Anthrax, nuclear fallout, small pox, dirty bombs, dirty cops, militia members who think the revolution is on, communists, anarchist, drugs
And that dude with the turban at the 7/11
I knew something was wrong with him with his impecible American accent he must have been trained
The way he'd ask me how my day was and how work was going for me
See wait wait wait....
My job was placed on the Top 100 possible targets in my city
I was a target...

Now my heart beats reality
58 beats per minute
58 occupied beats that have been taken from
I placed duct tape all over my living room
Well, what once was my living room
Above ground stalactites of splintered wood
and I can now walk into my neighbors bedroom
See there was a general alert of a terrorist threat in the apartment building across from mine
and my room was the direct route to get to the building on the corner
See it all makes sence
When examined from both sides
of my wall...

I was screaming both sides when they hauled me off to prison
See I need to examine this from both sides
Well the government swears that I was named on a list of possible terrorists on my street
And well, with my name who could blame them
Weren't all the terrorist on 9/11 Muslim
and with nearly billion Muslims in the world that was a pretty big pool to choose from
See they were really trying to protect us by
Destroying civil liberties
Fighting the world
Killing the envrionment
Ending abortion
Minimum mandatory sentencing
The death penalty
Minimum wage
The assembly line
and
Slavery
Slavery
Slavery

They say in capitalism the biggest weapon is money
So I guess an immigrants wallet is worth 41 bullets
at 10 cents a piece thats $4.10
and with the average minimum wage at $5.15 an hour
I now ask for my pay packet in deaths per minute
Isn't it any wonder that we remain disposable
When its so much cheaper to blow us off
Cause we all must be killed of something
"MIKE CHECK
more than my bags at the airport as I was checked to a checkpoint"
I made a mistake
I flew while Arab
I feel blessed to be a part of the fastest growing segment of the US population
Not bounded by religion we harmonized
Driving While Black
Flying While Arab
United as a single amorphis being
Certifiably
We were convicted...

Of Breathing

1 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home